MoJ TU Staff’s TOR
Job Title: Translator/Interpreter (English Dari and Pashto)
Number of vacant position: 1
Duty Station: Kabul, Afghanistan.
Closing Date : 4/22/2012
The Project is recruiting legal translator and interpreter to operate as MoJ Translation Unit staff member for the translation of legal texts, legislative documents and other instruments, while providing consecutive translations for the MoJ Translation Unit in legal proceedings at in other settings.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Written translations.
- Oral interpretations.
- Assistance to the JHRA project activities, related to the MoJ.
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
1- Written translations:
- Translate drafts and legislative documents from Dari into English and vice versa (English into Dari), mainly for use within project team and meetings;
- Translate legal documents of international origin from English into Dari and from Dari into English.
- Translate MoJ documents from English into Dari.
- Translate assessment reports from Dari into English. Translate the final project report and its components from Dari into English and from English into Dari, as needed.
- Working in close consultation with the counterparts from the MoJ (i.e. Deputy Ministers, head of Taqnin department, Planning and Strategic Unit as well as other senior staff at the MoJ) as well as with counterparts from the SC (mainly Administration Unit, Heads of departments, and further senior staff) and with interlocutors from other institutions Attorney general’s Office, as well as other government offices and international organizations.
- Translation of correspondence from English into Dari and vice versa.
- Translate legal documents such as International Human Right Law, Treaty and local laws and other, official correspondence from government offices, papers, etc. in a concise manner from English to Dari and from Dari to English as requested.
- Work with other translators and submit all translated documents for final translation checking and proof reading.
- File all translated documents properly in both hard and soft copy.
- Participate at proof reading with other translators in translated documents of Translation Unit team.
2- Oral interpretation:
- Interpretation at meetings with national interlocutors within the MoJ Translation Unit, MoJ, and external partners (service providers, NGOs etc).
- Provide interpretation for international project staff and other non Dari speakers at community based presentations.
- Other interpretation and translation tasks as needed within the project implementation.
- Work closely as a team member with project team leader, project manager on project development.
- Provide accurate and best interpretation in project board meeting as and when necessary.
- Interpretation from English into Dari and vice versa.
- Making necessary correspondence, taking minutes and preparing meeting reports as requested.
3- Assistance to the JHRA activities, related to the MoJ:
- Assisting the Head of MoJ Translation Unit for their project activity in implementing the training activities, related to the training of MoJ Translation Unit staff and interpreters.
- Writing and preparing of official letters both in English and Dari/Arabic - as requested.
- Assist filing system and computerizing of official letters.
- Provide help & support in translation of the documents from the MoJ and government institutions under the project if requested, within available working capacities.
- To fulfill other duties, as required and identified by the Ministry of Justice.
- Project correspondence with the government institutions under the project.
- Provision of any administrative and operational support associated to the translation work as requested.
- Other relevant tasks as requested by the Programme Manager and Head of the Unit
- Remain flexible for traveling to provinces if required.
Education & Experience:
- Graduated from Law or Sharia faculties with certificate in translation and bachelor degree in English.
-Relevant working experience with national/international organizations in translation/interpretation associated with administrative works is required.
- With bachelor degree three to five years of experience is required.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and typing is important.
- Familiarity of working with the government institutions is an advantage.
- Fluency in the English, Dari and Pashto.
Please send your application to email@example.com